Thursday, July 18, 2013

Modern Pattern: Vienna Lily

Vienna Lily Triptych top
Barbara Brackman

This pieced triptych (3 panel) wallhanging fits in with the current theme of minimalism, as it uses a few basic shapes to represent a floral---perhaps an Asian lily.
You can make it as one panel or three. Below is a free pattern (remember you get what you pay for!)

Vienna Lily Tryptich
35" x 35"

I just hand quilted this. The top is probably ten years old, made so long ago that I didn't have any William Morris repros to work with. The flowers are batiks and the leaves shades of sage green prints. It's been so long that Pam Mayfield and I can't remember who pieced it. I think she did but I guess I'm taking the credit.

Trademark of the Viennese Workshop
The Wiener Werkstätte

My inspiration was the trademark above and the lilies in my garden (they have to grow in pots because voles snack on them.)

A single panel finishes to 10" x 35".

The shade garden


The flower finishes to 10" square




Cutting Instructions for 1 Floral

A - Cut 2 squares 5 7-8".

Cut each in half diagonally to make 2 triangles. You need 4 triangles.

B - Cut 1 square 6-1/4".

Cut with 2 diagonal cuts to make 4 triangles. 

C - Cut 1 rectangle 1-3/8" x 5-1/2"

D - Cut 4 squares 2-5/8"

E - Cut 2 rectangles 2-5/8" x 1-3/8"


Cutting Instructions for 1 Leaf panel

F - Cut 1 dark & 1 medium rectangle 6" x 4-3/4". Cut from corner to corner diagonally in different directions. You need 4 triangles.


Here's why I think Pam pieced this.
I had a lot of trouble getting the triangles to go the right way.
I have no advice.
Calling her won't do any good. 

G - The leaf G is a strangely proportioned parallelogram--- a rhomboid, I believe.
Cut 5 dark and 5 medium rectangles 8-3/4" x 3-5/8". Cut using the template below. 
But flip the template over so you get the left and the right side of each stem. You need:
Left Side: 3 dark, 2 medium
Right Side: 3 light, 2 medium

To print the template, click on the above picture and save it as a JPG or in a word file.
Print it out so the long side measures 7" with seams.

Or here's a PDF in Adobe Workspaces


Cutting the strips between the 3 lilies (H) for a tryptich
H -Cut 2 strips 35-1/2" long by 3" wide.

For the triptych alternate lilies and plain strips H.


3 comments:

  1. Love your Lilies! They have indeed a flair of Art Nouveau. We could quilt the leaves in volutes like William Morris prints!
    Thanks for this incentive post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a great audience, you and Nifty Quilts. I am making another one with my next Morris line, revealed soon. Send me pictures of your ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the nifty modern quilt pattern. Have loved things Wiener Werkstätte and Bauhaus since a teen. Always learn so much from your articles.

    ReplyDelete